Dating neath port talbot
There is a variety of drift deposits in Port Talbot.
Sandfields area of Port Talbot is built upon blown sand and tidal flat deposits.
The Talbots were patrons of Margam Abbey, and also built Margam Castle.
Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot (1803–1890), a Liberal Member of Parliament for Glamorgan from 1830 until his death, saw the potential of his property as a site for an extensive ironworks, which opened in early 1831.
With heavy industry and an urban motorway, Port Talbot was reported as having the worst air pollution in Wales in 2005 with a PM South East of Port Talbot is dominated by Pennant sandstone which forms this high relief area including Mynydd Margam, Mynydd Dinas and the other mountains.
The pennant sandstone is made up of two formations which are the Rhondda Member and Brithdir Member.
This may have been a water supply for Margam Abbey 0.75 kilometres (0.5 mi) to the East.
The earliest evidence of humans in the Port Talbot area has been found on the side of Mynydd Margam where Bronze Age farming ditches can be found from 4,000 BC.It was therefore 85 years after the phrase 'Port Talbot' was first used that it became officially recognised as the town's name.