Speed dating in bellingham
In 1898 the utility merged into the Northern Railway and Improvement Company which prompted the Electric Corporation of Boston to purchase a large block of shares. Whatcom and Sehome had adjacent borders and both towns wanted to merge; thus they formed New Whatcom.Later, on October 27, 1903, the word "New" was dropped from the name, because the Washington State Legislature outlawed the use of the word new in city and town names.They eventually settled on the name Bellingham, which remains today.Voting a second time for a final merger of the four towns into a single city, the resolution passed by 2163 votes for and 596 against.BBIC was not the only outside firm with an interest in Bellingham utilities.The General Electric Company of New York purchased Bellingham's Fairhaven Line and New Whatcom street rail line in 1897.
Elevations of 800 feet (240 m) are found near Yew Street Hill north of Lake Padden and near Galbraith Mountain.
In time, lumber and shingle mills sprang up all over the county to accommodate the byproduct of their work.
In 1889, Pierre Cornwall and an association of investors formed the Bellingham Bay Improvement Company (BBIC).
as a result of the incremental consolidation of four towns initially situated around Bellingham Bay during the final decades of the 19th Century.
Whatcom is today's "Old Town" area and was founded in 1852. Bellingham was further south near Boulevard Park, founded in 1853; while Fairhaven was a large commercial district with its own harbor, also founded in 1853.At its peak in the 1920s, the mine employed some 250 miners digging over 200,000 tons of coal annually. In the early 1890s, three railroad lines arrived, connecting the bay cities to a nationwide market of builders.